Meet all Video Game Types of all times!
The different video game genres sometimes generate some doubts between users and gamers: How many genres of games are there? Which are? What does “Shoot ’em up“, “Run and Gun” or “Beat’ em up” mean? What type of game corresponds to each genre? What are the best games of each genre?
To solve all these questions and doubts about the types of video games, our glossary is born, where you can find all the genres listed and explained, and even links to play the best video games of each genre!
List of Video Game Genres 🎮
- Platform games: One of the first video games genres. Players run, jump and avoid / kill enemies in a 2D / 3D world to complete the game. Best platform game of all times is Super Mario World (SNES). But there are other series, like Sonic or Kirby, that people also love and play.
- RPG games: Immersive storytelling, vivid fantasy worlds and complex leveling systems for your character and enemies are some examples of what 2D / 3D RPG games where you are the hero contain. You should play Chrono Trigger for the SNES. Also you can play Zelda series or Final Fantasy series. This genre has brought real gems with hundreds of hours of gameplay.
- Fighting games: Round 1… Fight? Fighting games are 2D / 3D games where fighters fight 1vs1 or 2vs2 with the mission of become the #1 fighter. This genre of games was born in the 199o’s and invented the “combos” or special movements that are so popular today. Street Fighter II (SNES) or Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden (Genesis) are two good examples of fighting games, one of the most acclaimed genres.
- Arcade games: When video games were machines (cabinets or coin-ops) played in dark and noisy arcade. After all, those cool cabinets were the original computer games, born in the 1980’s and 1990’s. For example, Pac-Man (NES) or Bubble Bobble (NES). The original genre!
- Beat ’em up games: Beat ’em up (AKA brawler or me against the whole neighborhood) is a genre of video games that highlights the close combat between the protagonist and a large number of enemies. Beat ’em ups based on melee weapons are called hack and slash. If you love this genre you have to play Final Fight (SNES), Streets of Rage (Genesis) or Double Dragon 2 (NES).
- Sports games: Video games based in different sports like Soccer, Boxing, Basketball, Baseball or others. For example NBA Jam (SNES) or FIFA 96 (SNES). This genre is one of the most popular!
- Ninja games: 2D side-scrolling video games where your are a ninja. This type of video games become popular in the 80’s. Attack in the middle of the night, and attack via stealth like a true warrior! Become a ninja in Ninja Gaiden (NES) or Shinobi (Genesis).
- Shoot ’em up games: Shoot ’em up (also known as shmup or STG) is a a genre of video games where the player character moves forward automatically, often in a flying vehicle such as a spacecraft or aircraft, shooting large numbers of enemies while dodging obstacles. Some titles: Axelay (SNES), Galaga (NES).
- Run & Gun games: In “run & gun” genre (“run and shoot”) the protagonists are people or robots on foot, instead of a spaceship, which can often jump; These video games can present screen scrolling and multidirectional movement. This genre has amazing titles like Contra (NES) or Sunset Riders (SNES).
- Maze games: is a video game genre that describes any game in which the entire playing field was a maze. Quick player action is required to escape monsters, outrace an opponent, or navigate the maze within a time limit. To fully enjoy this genre you should play PacMan (NES), Super Bomberman (SNES) and Dig Dug (NES). Tons of maze games were launched in the 1980’s and 1990’s.
- Racing games: The racing video game genre is the genre of video games, either in the first-person or third-person perspective, in which the player partakes in a racing competition with any type of land, water, air or space vehicles. Must play racing games from the 16-bits era are Super Mario Kart (SNES) and F-Zero (SNES).
More video game genres coming soon. Stay tuned!
Sharing is caring so… You know what to do! 😛